About EDEn Hall Cottage
We understand the cottage was built around 1750, however, its name, Eden Hall Cottage, is a later addition and was taken from a hall which stood on the grounds close by, called Eden Hall.
Eden Hall was built in 1899 by Mr P Harvey. Eden Hall was to be a railway hotel but the railway company, The Great Eastern Railway, abandoned the plan for the hotel, it is thought after laying the foundations. Mr Harvey, it is believed, bought the foundations from the railway company, and then built or had the building built himself.
It was used for a boarding school until the First World War when it was taken over by the Army or the Royal Flying Corps, as there was an airstrip a few fields away. In 1940, during World War Two, King George VI visited Eden Hall to see the 1st Cambridge Regiment that was stationed there.
In 1954 the building was sold to Norfolk County Council who created a Special Boarding School. Our cottage, Eden Hall Cottage, was used as accommodation for the schoolmistresses and, later on, the pupils.
After purchasing the cottage, we were fortunate to meet some formal pupils. They had fond memories of the cottage and their time at school, playing tennis in the grounds, picking raspberries and playing on the beach.